In my quest to lose weight and to adopt a healthier lifestyle, I have been on the lookout for recipes that allow me to use real ingredients instead of a bunch of processed junk. I love Pinterest because there are a ton of great recipes that fit this criteria.
Another place where I find recipe inspiration is the Thrifty Thursday link up party. I encourage you to hop over to Living Well Spending Less on Thursdays to find a ton of inspiring ideas for cooking, cleaning, organizing, and many other tips. The best part is that all these ideas are doable with a small budget.
I ran across this recipe for sausage pasta on Thrifty Thursday. Click here to read the original post.
This recipe reminded me of a boxed pasta mix that I fix for my family quite often. What I love about it is how easy it is to make and that I can used regular food ingredients. No cream of anything soups here!
The post where I got this recipe from encourages you to make it ahead of time and let it sit and soak in all of the ingredients. I did as she suggested and it was wonderful! And when I reheated leftovers the next day it tasted even better.
The Sausage Pasta was a hit with my family. Give it a try and let me know what you think!
Recipe for Quick and Easy Sausage Pasta
- 1 Tablespoon oil (Canola, Vegetable, Olive)
- 14 Ounce package turkey sausage (See pic below for what I used)
- 1 Small onion, diced
- 2-4 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 Cups (1 Can) low sodium chicken broth
- 8 Ounces penne pasta (use whole wheat for a healthier version)
- 1 14.5 Ounce can petite diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1/2 Cup milk
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1 Cup shredded monterey jack cheese
- In a large skillet heat the oil over medium heat. Add the sausage and onions and cook for about 10 minutes until the onions are soft and translucent. Add the garlic and cook for about 30 seconds.
- Add in the chicken broth, pasta, tomatoes and their liquid, milk, and salt and pepper.
- Heat to boiling, then reduce to low, cover the pan and simmer for about 20 minutes, or until the pasta is tender, stirring once or twice.
- Stir in the shredded cheese.
- Remove the pan from the heat, and either refrigerate until later, or allow to cool for about an hour on the counter.
- When ready to serve, place the pan on the stove over low heat and stir occasionally until hot throughout.