We meet once a week with a community group made up of six different families from our church. The two hours we meet includes a meal and a Bible study. With 12 adults and 13 kids, it can be kind of daunting deciding what to have for our meal each week.
Last week, three families brought soups for us to eat. Susan brought a hearty chicken noodle soup, Davi brought her delicious baked potato soup, and Sarah made a delightful chicken fajita soup.
While all the soups were wonderful and filling, Sarah’s was the one that was easiest for me to duplicate. She told me she got the recipe from this pin on Pinterest. So, I immediately looked it up and decided to give it a try.
What made it so appealing to me was the ease of the preparation. Also, being able to cook it in my slow cooker made it a definite winner.
I made the soup for my family last night. It was definitely a hit. Even my most picky eater liked it. 🙂
I had some left over small soft corn tortillas, so I made my own tortilla chips to go with the soup. Have you made tortilla chips before? If not, I encourage you to give it a try. It is super simple!
Here is a quick method for making the chips…
- Spray the tortillas with olive oil cooking spray
- Stack the tortillas and then cut into four wedges
- Spread out on a baking sheet and sprinkle with sea salt
- Bake at 350 degrees in the oven for 15 minutes
Now for the soup!
Recipe for Chicken Fajita Soup
- 4 cups shredded chicken (I used chicken from a slow cooker cooking session)
- 2 cans condensed cream of chicken soup
- 1 cup salsa
- 2 cups frozen corn
- 1 (15 oz) can black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 ½ cups water
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- ½ teaspoon dried cilantro
- 1 cup cheddar cheese shredded
- Place chicken into slow cooker.
- In a bowl, mix together soup, salsa, corn, black beans, water, cumin, and cilantro.
- Pour over chicken in slow cooker.
- Cook on low 4-6 hours.
- After cooking add cheese and let cook for 15 minutes more.
I like putting tortilla chips in the bottom of the bowl before I dish up the soup. The crunch with the soup is very tasty. You can even top it with more cheese, sour cream, guacamole, or onions.
What is your favorite soup recipe?
Linked up with Thrifty Thursday link party